This is an incredible salad, packed with robust flavor and a powerhouse of nutrients. I am a huge fan of avocado and black beans, so this was right up my alley.
I found the recipe on Pinterest via Jennifer at Once Upon a Chef. While I was there, I browsed her recipe index and pinned several more of her recipes.
Serve it as a side dish or all by itself. It's da bomb!
Serving Size: 6-8*
- 2 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 ears fresh corn, cooked, cooled and kernels cut off the cob (I used frozen, thawed, for ease)
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots (you’ll need one medium shallot)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar (I chose not to add this...didn't need it in my opinion)
- 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (be sure to zest limes before juicing them)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro, plus more to garnish
- 2 Hass avocados, diced
- Combine all ingredients except avocados in a large bowl and mix well. Cover and chill for a few hours or overnight. Right before serving, add avocados and mix gently, being careful not to mash avocados. Garnish with a few sprigs of freshly chopped cilantro if desired. Serve at room temperature.
*This recipe could easily be halved. It makes a lot!